NetApp Solutions by Industry
Our industry-specific data storage solutions, enhanced by strategic partnerships, address critical business challenges.
- Financial Services
- High Performance Computing
- Life Sciences
- Manufacturing & Engineering
- Media & Entertainment
NetApp helps K-12 and higher education institutions enhance learning environments to better support students and staff.
Educational institutions face an explosion of data, thanks to online learning, educational portals, statewide testing, BYOD, virtualization, and other trends.
NetApp efficient data storage and data management solutions can:
- Reduce TCO. Institutions can buy 50% less storage; save up to 50% on power, cooling, and space costs; and lower administrative costs.
- Expand IT services. NetApp helps you support virtual learning while providing secure mobility and a safe BYOD environment.
- Enhance big data and research. Using our high-performance computing and data analytics, institutions can support research grants and help students succeed in school.
- Support public safety and improve cybersecurity. Use NetApp high-performance storage solutions for video surveillance, protecting sensitive student data, and meeting compliance regulations.
- Achieve multicloud data mobility. Manage data with ease across public, private, and hybrid cloud resources.
- Enable service continuity. The nondisruptive NetApp Data ONTAP OS helps you keep working, even during tech refreshes and upgrades.
Energy Data Storage Solutions:
NetApp helps energy companies manage big data to improve decision-making, accelerate exploration, optimize production, and maximize profits.
Oil and Gas
From acquisition and exploration to downstream pricing, good data means good decisions. But new apps that support better decision-making create massive amounts of data. NetApp energy industry experts and our innovative technology provide stable, scalable, manageable big data solutions for Oil and Gas companies.
The Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) initiative, “always-on” data availability, and compliance monitoring will soon send massive data streams your way. NetApp storage solutions help utilities scale to meet the challenges of big data. And you can benefit from our sophisticated functionality without an army of storage managers.
In your smart grid projects, you may need to gather, process, store, back up, and archive orders of magnitude more data than ever before. Eventually, this data will include real-time or near real-time energy consumption of every customer in your service territory. Smart meters gather this data as part of the Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) initiative-the first step toward realizing your smart grid goals. Many electric power plants and substations are also installing sophisticated monitoring and process control systems (PCS), with the goal of reducing environmental impacts and improving power system operation. Data is gathered remotely from electric, gas, and water transmission and distribution systems and fed into these systems. The amount of data gathered in these projects will probably rise rapidly, so you may be concerned about the scalability of your IT systems. If you make any changes to your IT infrastructure, you want these systems to remain highly reliable. It's also necessary to comply with industry regulatory requirements, such as the North American Electric Reliability Council (NERC) Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP). And you want to do all of this without major IT staffing changes if possible. This means that you're probably dealing with the toughest IT infrastructural challenges in the history of the industry.
Build your data storage and management infrastructure with NetApp
NetApp is the innovation leader for storage and data management solutions. We help large and small utility companies meet their IT infrastructure needs during this period of unprecedented industry change. We understand the challenges that you face as you design and implement AMI projects, other smart grid initiatives, and projects to enhance power system monitoring, operation, and control. We partner with industry leaders such as GE and Siemens AG to help utility companies:
- Scale up from a few terabytes to petabytes, using the same operating system and skill set for management
- Maintain the highest levels of availability for mission-critical applications
- Configure and manage systems to scale up and benefit from sophisticated functionality, without an army of storage managers
- Take full advantage of server and storage virtualization
- Use NetApp Snapshot and replication technology that is integrated with database applications for easy backup, restore, and disaster recovery of complex software environments
- Administer instant, zero-capacity provisioning and cloning for test, development, and quality assurance environments
- Achieve maximum protection for corporate and customer data with high-performance RAID 6 and write once, read many (WORM) archiving capabilities
- Scale and change multiprotocol systems, without downtime, to meet evolving requirements
Now you can use these capabilities to help your customers reduce energy consumption. You can improve the efficiency of power system operation and decrease environmental impacts. Our solutions help you maintain or enhance the reliability, quality, and security of your systems and service.
Flexibility through multiprotocol support
In the rapidly evolving smart grid space, you need a flexible data storage and management solution that accommodates change as data requirements shift. In a single storage platform, the NetApp multiprotocol storage solution meets that need. Our solution supports Fibre Channel Protocol (FCP) and iSCSI access for blocks, as well as NFS and CIFS access for files. We are leaders in Ethernet storage and have formed partnerships with leading networking vendors. This means that we can offer the seamless integration of a unified fabric with Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) and Enhanced Ethernet in the data center.
Terabyte-to-petabyte scalability through NetApp Unified Storage Architecture
In your smart grid initiative, you may have first implemented foundational systems such as meter data management systems. Then you probably expanded to a broad array of data applications in outage management systems (OMS), supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems, energy management systems (EMS), and others. NetApp Unified Storage Architecture supports the need to scale from terabytes to petabytes of data for these systems over time. This unified architecture is a single, endto-end foundation for dynamic data management. It goes beyond simple multiprotocol storage to provide integrated data management and data protection. Essentially, we support all tiers of storage, quality of service, and other elements-all in a single platform.
The highest levels of availability for mission-critical applications
To provide reliable energy service to customers, utility companies must have “always on” availability of data (greater than 99.999% storage availability). To meet this need, NetApp systems are configured in a fully mirrored environment at our client’s production side. Two separate clusters, each with two controllers, mean that your storage reliably avoids scheduled or unscheduled service outages, even for routine storage system maintenance.
Take full advantage of server and storage virtualization
As providers of energy, utility companies are particularly interested in reducing their own energy consumption. Server virtualization offers a way to decrease power, cooling, and space requirements for IT hardware resources. NetApp’s approach also reduces hardware expenses and operational costs, provides continuous uptime, and improves business agility.
To unleash the full potential of virtualization in utility IT environments, NetApp offers virtualization that complements and integrates with VMware applications and Microsoft Hyper-V, for example. In addition to reduced energy costs, our combined solutions offer you high efficiency, comprehensive data protection, agility and flexibility, and simplified, centralized manageability.
NetApp deduplication complements storage virtualization. You can reduce multiple copies of data to a single instance, decreasing your storage capacity needs by up to 90%.
Utility infrastructure built on NetApp virtualized storage.
Maximum protection for corporate and customer data
The data gathered in smart grid and other initiatives is a treasure trove of information. It's important to protect this sensitive and valuable operational and customer data from loss or corruption. To provide this protection, NetApp offers state-of-the-art data backup, restore, and disaster recovery solutions, including high-performance RAID 6 and WORM capabilities.
A NetApp Snapshot copy is a pointin-time image of a file system. It reduces backup windows to just seconds and helps to avoid the performance limitations of traditional tape or disk-based backup and restore. NetApp SnapManager software simplifies policy-based backup and other data management functions on either physical or virtual machines. And NetApp SnapMirror software reliably replicates your data across unlimited distances over the internet to provide the disaster protection you need.
Instant, zero-capacity provisioning and cloning for test and development environments
Before production versions of systems are deployed, they must be developed and tested, and quality assurance must be performed in a controlled environment. With NetApp FlexClone, database administrators can clone a copy of a dataset, manipulate it, and save it without placing huge overhead demands on the storage infrastructure.
We also help database administrators integrate new applications such as customer relationship management (CRM) applications with databases such as Oracle, SAP, and Microsoft SQL Server.
Easy configuration and management, without an army of storage managers
NetApp solutions make it easy to configure and manage data storage without expanding your IT staff. NetApp OnCommand management software simplifies storage management by putting it in a single pool, so that administrators can control, automate, and analyze the shared storage infrastructure.
Efficient NERC CIP compliance
To help you comply with NERC's CIP cyber-security standards, we partner with LogLogic, which offers a suite of compliance software that is tailored for NERC CIP compliance. The software mines data such as log data, flow data, and flat files from corporate firewalls, databases, Web proxies, intrusion detection systems, e-mail servers, and backup systems. The compliance solution monitors and scans identity and access, user activity, change control, security, and IT infrastructure, while providing business continuity management. Operating as a virtual appliance, it then provides real-time alerting via e-mail and SNMP. Its reporting on NERC compliance status includes more than 75 alerts mapped to NERC CIP.
The green data center
NetApp is an industry leader in the conservation of power and other resources in the data center. The NetApp Dynamic Data Center, located at the NetApp technology center in Research Triangle Park (RTP), North Carolina, earned the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's ENERGY STAR award, the national symbol for protecting the environment through superior energy efficiency. The RTP center, which opened in 2009, is the first data center to achieve this distinction from the EPA.
Most storage vendors can reduce power consumption by consolidating data onto fewer systems with highercapacity hard disk drives. Our approach goes well beyond consolidation by applying NetApp technology-FlexVol, FlexClone, Snapshot, and deduplication -to dramatically increase storage utilization. For example, it's possible to increase storage utilization from less than 40% to an average of 60% by using NetApp FlexVol technology for thin provisioning.
In the utilities sector, one of NetApp's partnerships is with Siemens AG. Siemens offers a broad range of services across the energy landscape to help utilities move to smart grid and smart metering. Their consulting services form the foundation, including business modeling, transformation planning, and understanding consumer behavior. Siemens then builds the smart network. They incorporate the products and IT components needed, as well as the business change processes, so that utilities have a reliable infrastructure to deliver smart services. Siemens also offers full operational services, including front- and back-office support, field operations, and value-added services. Using open industry standards, Siemens solutions integrate with all metering, communications, and enterprise technologies for providers of electricity, natural gas, and water.
For more than a decade, a long list of large enterprises in financial services, healthcare, telecommunications, energy, high tech, and manufacturing have placed their trust in NetApp to capitalize on our extensive experience. Our people, processes, and technology deliver ideas and innovative solutions that return dollars to your bottom line. Our credentials include:
- More than 5,000 global customers
- An extensive list of delivery partners
- Worldwide strategic global technology partners
- Thousands of NetApp Professional Services storage experts
- Thought leadership for Technology Professional Services Association (TPSA) and Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA)
We look forward to helping you create an infrastructure that will support the evolving goals of your high-performance business.
NetApp's portfolio of innovative data management solutions can help financial firms adapt to fast-changing environments.
Financial services firms face exponential data growth, evolving regulations, increased competition, and fluctuating customer demands. NetApp and our mobile, cloud, big data, and flash technologies can help you run and grow your business, even with flat or shrinking IT budgets.
More than 9,000 financial services firms worldwide rely on NetApp solutions. Our integrated data infrastructure simplifies operations, provides efficient data storage, protects data at scale, and reduces time to market for new applications. We help you respond to change with speed and agility.
Banking institutions confront new regulations, increased use of mobile apps and social media, more customer-centric banking, and changing business models. NetApp technology underlies the risk management, real-time data analytics, and cloud computing solutions that banks need to compete and win in today's markets.
NetApp helps banks manage risk, deliver customer-centric services, and develop new products-while preserving budgets.
Whether to identify the “next best offer” for your most profitable retail banking customers, support mobile access to banking services, or provide quick, accurate risk assessment for a loan application, NetApp big-data analytics and cloud computing solutions deliver the business insights you need, when you need them.
Beyond storing and managing big data, NetApp enables analytics applications to consume large volumes of both structured and unstructured data in real time.
NetApp’s clustered Data ONTAP storage operating system enables customer-centric banking, more effective cross-selling, and nondisruptive operations by:
- Accelerating delivery of new applications
- Helping keep IT projects on budget
- Eliminating planned downtime and offering extreme availability to critical applications
- Reducing time to results with high performance for the most complex and demanding workloads
- Attracting and retaining customers through personalized services built by analyzing their digital footprints
By providing faster insight from big data, NetApp helps banking institutions attract and retain customers and respond with agility to fast-moving, competitive environments.
Investors and traders need simplified, scalable IT solutions to tackle rapid change and fierce global competition. NetApp and our partners deliver the high-performance computing, big-data analytics, and flash-based performance required to model, analyze, assess risk, and achieve regulatory compliance in real time, without sacrificing efficiency or reliability.
NetApp and partners' high-performance computing solutions accelerate your most demanding financial markets applications.
In the financial markets-securities and capital markets, investment management, and brokerage and wealth management-you must synthesize and comprehend large, fast-moving data sets to make the right decisions, right now.
NetApp high-performance computing (HPC) solutions provide real-time risk assessment, reporting, and big-data analysis. Plus, as new trading and investment regulations increase data complexity and volume, our high-performance solutions help you maintain compliance.
Using our HPC solutions, investors and traders can:
- Capture, process, and analyze vast amounts of market data for immediate, profitable decisions.
- Gain a global view of value-at-risk in real time, across lines of business and across asset classes.
- Improve risk assessments by performing more iterations of risk calculations in less time.
- Enhance low-latency trading capabilities with our all-flash arrays combined with additional high-capacity systems.
- Handle big-data analytics with ready-to-deploy, flexible Hadoop clusters.
- Eliminate downtime as a business challenge with the nondisruptive upgrades, maintenance, and fixes of the NetApp clustered Data ONTAP OS.
Fast-moving regulatory environments and customer demands are forcing insurance companies to improve their analytical models to better compute risks and determine profitable cost structures. NetApp's big-data analytics, in combination with our efficient data management technologies, can give insurance firms a competitive edge.
NetApp helps transform insurance firms' infrastructure and systems to support better and faster decisions.
Insurance firms process huge volumes of data, whether it's looking at natural disaster trends over the past 200 years, performing complex demographic analyses, or creating predictive models for risk. Your competitive edge depends on how fast, and how well, you turn raw data into insights.
NetApp's big-data analytics and cloud computing solutions, in combination with partner solutions and our efficient data management technologies, can help insurance firms:
- Detect fraud in time to prevent it, which can save millions of dollars each year.
- Achieve more effective claims management and mitigate risk through improved predictive modeling.
- Manage big data on an enterprise-class platform with nondisruptive operations.
- Perform risk simulations faster and with greater accuracy.
- Tap into big-data business intelligence (BI) to create new revenue streams and attract new customers.
- Comply with new and evolving regulations.
Data Management Solutions for Government Organizations:
Federal, state, and local agencies trust NetApp to store, manage, protect, and retain their most precious asset: data.
Government agencies rely on innovative NetApp® data storage and management solutions for their application, virtualization, and cloud environments.
- U.S. federal government. Convert your explosion of data into actionable information by using NetApp data storage and management solutions.
- Department of Defense (DoD). Protect and manage mission-critical data, from the core to the edge.
- Intelligence community. Meet the stringent security requirements of intelligence systems to store, protect, and enable sensitive, mission-critical data.
- State and local governments. Consolidate technology, improve system performance, and free up precious resources to meet citizens' demands for more and improved services.
- Education. Use NetApp unified storage solutions to manage data growth, comply with mandates, and meet SLAs-all while lowering costs-for both higher education and K-12 institutions.
- Public Safety. Our video and other digital solutions improve the effectiveness and efficiency of law enforcement and other local agencies that are tasked with protecting people and property.
- Joining Forces initiative. NetApp training and certification for military service personnel and veterans includes NetApp Certified Storage Associate (NCSA) entry-level certification, for basic skills in storage technology and NetApp data storage solutions.
NetApp U.S. Public Sector: Big Data
Manage, store, and analyze structured and unstructured big data to boost government agency operations and public safety.
Government organizations are inundated by data coming from sensors, videos, call logs, social media, mobile devices, and more. NetApp solutions help you store, process, and analyze your big data and gain strategic insights.
Our Data ONTAP OS lets you connect data management environments from disparate silos into a cohesive, integrated whole: a data fabric. You can manage data at scale, for secure and effective big data storage, processing, and utilization. NetApp provides scalable solutions for extremely data-intensive operations.
- Unstructured storage. Use innovative NetApp storage solutions for your unstructured big data workloads with Hadoop or Splunk.
- Structured analytics. Leverage NetApp proven performance to gain real-time insights from your workload databases, enterprise applications, and structured data.
- Public safety and digital evidence. Manage and analyze the vast quantities of data from video surveillance, body-worn cameras, and in-car video used to ensure public safety. Build a cost-effective video evidence infrastructure that centralizes management, automates operations, enhances video evidence protection, and ensures continuous availability.
NetApp U.S. Public Sector: Cybersecurity
NetApp data protection technologies help government agencies protect their data and prevent data loss in case of attack.
As data security threats increase in number and sophistication, federal, state, and local government agencies must remain vigilant. At the same time, agencies rely on the exchange of data to operate. NetApp takes a comprehensive approach to data protection that helps balance the need for data access with the need to protect that data from attackers. NetApp data protection technologies and solutions help government agencies:
- Keep data protected and trusted-but still accessible.
- Know how their data is being used.
- Minimize the risk that data will be lost in the event of an attack.
- Identify and defeat advanced persistent threats.
We help agencies and organizations maintain:
- Confidentiality. We provide technologies for encryption and secure multi-tenancy.
- Integrity. Our solutions help manage data integrity, including storage-based intrusion detection system (IDS) technology and rapid IAVA compliance.
- Availability. NetApp solutions such as rapid cyber provisioning and disaster recovery help you recover fast from natural disasters or cyber attacks.
NetApp U.S. Public Sector: Data Center Optimization
NetApp technologies and our Data Fabric vision can help government organizations build a cloud-ready data center.
Gain the freedom to deliver IT on your terms. Build on our Data Fabric vision and the unified, scale-out storage platform of the NetApp® Data ONTAP® operating system and its software-defined architecture to:
- Expand across your choice of cloud or on-premises resources.
- Adapt to changing organizational needs.
- Follow a clear path to private, public, and hybrid clouds.
- Scale workloads dynamically.
- Unlock cloud efficiencies.
- Unleash the power of flash to speed application performance.
Other NetApp data center optimization solutions include:
- FlexPod converged infrastructure. Prevalidated storage, networking, and server technologies, developed by NetApp and Cisco
- EVO:RAIL. A software-defined infrastructure to enable cloud computing for all mission-critical data
- Backup and recovery. Technologies to safeguard critical data, drive operational efficiencies, reduce backup time, improve data recovery, and cut infrastructure and administrative costs
- Enterprise application solutions. Predictable, efficient application performance that eliminates downtime and increases productivity for Oracle, SAP, VMware, Microsoft, and other enterprise applications
- Flash. NetApp all-flash arrays for fast, consistent response times to accelerate high-performance databases
NetApp U.S. Public Sector: Hybrid Cloud
Establish a data fabric to unite public sector data management environments, on premises and in the cloud.
Federal, state, and local government agencies are adopting hybrid cloud computing for its economic and technical benefits. But this mixture of cloud and on-premises environments can create isolated, incompatible data silos.
A data fabric powered by NetApp seamlessly connects disparate IT environments into a cohesive, integrated whole. Maintain control and choice as you manage, secure, and move your data across the hybrid cloud.
NetApp hybrid cloud solutions help you:
- Do more with less in the face of fast-changing IT landscapes and increasing budget constraints.
- Achieve scalable, on-demand cloud-computing services with an efficient, flexible IT infrastructure.
- Back up data to any cloud at up to 90% less cost than on-premises solutions. NetApp AltaVault cloud-integrated storage can preserve your investments in existing data backup infrastructure.
Find out how NetApp is helping to build a data-driven government: leading the way with proven technologies that power cloud infrastructures now and in the future.
NetApp U.S. Public Sector: Virtualization
Public sector organizations can use virtualization and cloud services to increase agility while lowering costs.
Data is increasing ever faster, budgets are tight, and today's mobile workforce requires anytime, anywhere access. NetApp helps public sector organizations respond to these challenges through:
- Data center optimization. Modernize your data center and maximize agility with the NetApp clustered Data ONTAP operating system.
- NetApp solutions for virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI). Allow workers to be productive from anywhere, on any device. Mobile desktop solutions enable centralized deployment and management of virtual desktop environments.
- Server virtualization. Virtualize your data center storage and management with a nondisruptive, scalable, and secure infrastructure.
- Blended solutions from leading virtualization vendors. Optimize desktop virtualization performance and cost-effectiveness across all phases of complex, variable workloads and for all data types.
- Storage at the edge. The low-cost Data ONTAP Edge, running in a virtual machine on the VMware vSphere platform, delivers enterprise-class data management and protection to remote offices. Deploy video surveillance and other enterprise applications in environments without dedicated storage systems.
Healthcare Data Storage Solutions:
Meet your healthcare Big Data challenges with innovative storage solutions from NetApp. Manage, share, and secure petabytes of patient data.
Lower Cost and Complexity of Healthcare Big Data
New technologies, increasing regulations, and the move to EHR and EMR are creating massive amounts of healthcare data. NetApp healthcare solutions can help you reduce storage management and complexity, transform clinical workflows, and lower the TCO of your data storage environment.
NetApp Innovative Solutions Handle Petabytes of Patient Data
NetApp and our partners deliver innovative healthcare data solutions that let you securely manage vast amounts of patient data, use and share it enterprise-wide, and gain efficiencies of scale through cloud solutions and virtualization.
Make a Sound Investment with an Industry Leader
More than 3,000 healthcare organizations worldwide use Innovative clinical data and IT storage solutions from NetApp to share patient data across the continuum of care. Through improved flexibility and efficiency, NetApp solutions can help improve your healthcare workflows so you can deliver better patient care.
NetApp data storage solutions for healthcare providers simplify data management and lower the TCO of EHR environments.
NetApp data storage solutions for healthcare providers can help you achieve IT efficiency to speed diagnosis and treatment and improve patient care. Our solutions are cost effective for storing and sharing medical imaging and complex patient data.
- Simplify Electronic Medical Records and Electronic Health Records (EHR) environments. NetApp offers data management solutions that reduce complexity and lower the total cost of ownership of high-availability EMR and EHR environments.
- Manage huge volumes of medical data. NetApp simplifies medical data acquisition, ownership, and management.
- Meet compliance and security obligations. ICD-10 and HIPAA 5010 regulations require comprehensive solutions to meet compliance objectives. NetApp solutions help you comply with stringent regulations while accounting for Medicaid expansion and health benefit exchanges.
- Prepare for disaster recovery. NetApp can help you establish multiple data repositories for business continuity.
NetApp data storage solutions for healthcare payers help you process claims faster and reduce costs.
NetApp data storage solutions for healthcare payers can help you cut costs and improve member health and satisfaction. Our solutions are designed to handle healthcare big data, simplifying data management, protecting health records, and making medical data accessible anytime, anywhere.
- Respond to market pressures. Develop quality healthcare initiatives and improve claims management.
- Deal with claims-data volume. NetApp storage systems' modular design enables independent scaling of performance and capacity, in increments that fit your budget.
- Meet all your compliance obligations. ICD-10 and HIPAA 5010 regulations require comprehensive solutions to meet compliance objectives. NetApp solutions help you comply with stringent regulations while accounting for Medicaid expansion and health benefit exchanges.
- Prepare for disaster recovery. NetApp can help you establish multiple data repositories for business continuity.
NetApp data storage solutions for public health provide efficient data management and cost-effective data archiving.
NetApp data storage solutions for public health give you more efficient ways to store and archive healthcare data, and share it to promote community wellness.
- Connect clinical information. As Health Information Exchanges (HIEs) begin to share data, NetApp solutions can reduce the complexity of sharing data across geographies.
- Handle huge data volume. NetApp storage systems have a modular design that lets you scale performance and capacity independent of each other, in increments that fit your budget.
- Enhance scientific research. NetApp provides flexible data storage to house scientific data and speed access to millions of stored patient records.
NetApp EHR Solutions
Efficient, high-availability EHR data storage and management
Technology has significantly affected the way that healthcare organizations provide patient care. With the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act, most healthcare providers now use electronic health records (EHRs) for centralized access to clinical data. Smartphones, tablets, and web-enabled devices are creating new opportunities for clinicians and patients to collaborate in ways and at speeds that were never before imagined.
The adoption of EHRs has transformed healthcare with the standardized delivery of medical records, reduced errors, improved patient care, quicker reimbursements, and decreased costs. With the use of EHRs, coupled with the implementation of ICD-10 Codes, healthcare organizations have experienced a significant increase in clinical data. EHR storage requirements can easily reach tens or hundreds of terabytes, and the annual enterprise storage needs for your entire patient population can reach petabytes.
To fully realize the advantages of electronic recordkeeping and ready access at this scale, you need a sophisticated EHR system coupled with a highly available infrastructure. This combination can help you meet the increasing need for cost-effective data storage and management.
The NetApp Solution
NetApp and leading EHR providers-including Allscripts, Cerner, Epic, MEDITECH, McKesson, and InterSystems-have teamed up to address storage needs in healthcare. In the process, we can help increase clinical efficiency and ultimately help clinicians improve delivery of patient care. Working together, we help healthcare organizations share data-intensive medical images and reports between authorised medical specialists and facilities worldwide.
NetApp offers fast, simple, scalable, and reliable data storage-the ideal match for these vendors' EHR systems. Together, we offer a complete enterprise storage infrastructure solution, helping healthcare organizations deploy cost-effective, easyto-maintain data storage components that lower TCO while enhancing profitability. In partnership with trusted EHR vendors, NetApp can boost the efficiency of your storage infrastructure to accommodate the increasing data volumes that result from EHR systems. We can also enhance data protection capabilities through collaborative development with each specific EHR vendor.
According to Stephen W. Clark, FACHE and CIO at Sentara Albemarle Health, “We needed a scalable, easy-to-support solution that could deliver high availability for our mission-critical EHR and HIE systems. NetApp innovation has enabled us to reduce our data center footprint and capitalize on other IT efficiencies that have contributed to significant cost savings. By choosing NetApp, we made a sound investment that will serve us well into the future.”
Make Better Decisions for You and Your Patients
NetApp's vision for the future of data management is to create a Data Fabric that spans your entire IT landscape. The Data Fabric enabled by NetApp takes the worry and complexity out of managing and maintaining control of clinical data across private and public cloud resources. This capability enables healthcare organizations to adhere to internal data security policies, maintain compliance with HIPAA and HITECH requirements, and promote greater innovation and IT responsiveness. With a Data Fabric, you have:
- The choice to select the mix of private and public cloud services that will help provide patients with highly secure and cost-effective services
- Data mobility so that your data flows seamlessly to wherever your clinicians need it most-across flash, disk, and private and public clouds
- Speed that allows you to innovate faster with fewer resources to improve patient outcomes
NetApp helps healthcare organizations embrace the cloud on their terms by integrating on-premises enterprise-class data management and control with the flexibility, speed, and economics of the public cloud. Advances in technology and cloud computing provide key capabilities to help the healthcare industry redesign storage systems to keep pace with tremendous growth in clinical data. These advances also help you to do more within tight budgets. The Data Fabric provides the capability to securely share, store, and retain data-including big data from multiology images, diagnostic reports, and other critical patient-care information systems. As a result, healthcare has the tools to continue transforming patient care.
Keep Pace with Growing Clinical Data
You can maximize performance and scale without wasting resources or affecting availability with NetApp FAS and All Flash FAS systems. Combining reliable, high-performance hardware with the industry-leading NetApp Data ONTAP operating system helps IT seamlessly scale the storage infrastructure to keep pace with increasing patient data requirements. With NetApp, you can:
- Enhance data protection. Protect against single path failure with storage resiliency, delivering consistent performance in the event of controller failover.
- Be flash-ready to boost performance. Up to 2TB of onboard NetApp Flash Cache or Flash Pool intelligent caching provides an instant response to workload spikes in access requests for patient files.
- Get improved speed and scalability. New NetApp FAS systems deliver up to 80% more processing power and 100% more capacity.
- Improve storage usage. Reduce storage needs from day one through the industry-leading NetApp storage-efficiency portfolio.
Deliver Round-the-Clock Care
With industry-leading EHR solutions and NetApp storage, clinicians can access records quickly, securely, and reliably. We achieve high reliability of healthcare data-as high as 99.999% in recent, real-world deployments-by using both hardware and software solutions. NetApp storage uses industry-standard components; hardware redundancy; and proven, well-tested drives and disk storage. Software-based solutions include NetApp RAID DP® (RAID 6) technology, as well as accelerated backup and recovery capabilities to minimize unplanned downtime and enhance the availability of your patient-critical data. Anywhere, at any time of the day or night, physicians and other caregivers can respond to data requests, collaborate on treatment plans, or complete documentation for round the clock care.
NetApp and its EHR partners help demonstrate compliance with HIPAA, HITECH, and European Union directive requirements to protect stored patient information. The simplicity and scalability of NetApp FAS and All Flash FAS systems efficiently store PACS images and patient records without sacrificing accessibility or availability. And this storage still meets state, federal, and county mandates for disaster recovery, security, and retention.
EHR data management optimization.
Secure cloud archiving
NetApp AltaVault cloud-integrated storage helps healthcare organizations securely back up EHR data to any cloud at up to 90% lower cost than with on-premises solutions. Healthcare organizations can now include the public and private cloud as part of backup and recovery and for archival strategies for cost-effective data protection. AltaVault helps organizations achieve faster recovery, reduce data loss, and deliver high security-all with minimal management overhead.
High-performance, disk-based data retention
NetApp SnapLock software helps meet government standards for retaining, protecting, and accessing protected health information with a flexible, integrated, cost-effective solution. SnapLock software helps an organization comply with records retention regulations by creating nonrewritable, nonerasable volumes to prevent files from being altered or deleted for a predetermined retention period. NetApp Snapshot technology enables administrators to simultaneously back up multiple databases of any size in seconds, and NetApp SnapManager software helps recover from server outages in minutes, not hours or days.
Secure patient records
A range of NetApp embedded data security technologies help healthcare organizations comply with regulatory requirements to protect stored patient data without impeding employee productivity. Encryption, authentication, and logging allow clinicians to access secure data only while they are logged in, and these features keep data from being transferred outside the session. In addition, NetApp virtualization solutions with Cisco, VMware, Citrix, and Red Hat technologies help provide secure, end-to-end multitenancy across applications and data. This capability further extends the benefits and business advantages of a shared IT infrastructure with virtualized and cloud computing. Data is securely isolated and workload performance is maintained, eliminating the need to trade off security for the efficiency of storage consolidation in a multitenant environment.
Improve Operational Efficiency with Simplified, Centralized Management
Consolidating multiple terabytes of clinical data and other hospital information on NetApp storage can significantly reduce the number of servers and storage systems that IT teams must manage. Tight integration between NetApp and EHR vendor solutions simplifies the management of growing clinical data across on-premises and hybrid cloud environments.
To help maximize system use, meet storage SLAs, minimize risks, and boost performance, NetApp OnCommand management products provide visibility and control across clustered Data ONTAP storage resources. OnCommand intuitive GUIs, automation, and integration also improve operational efficiencies.
Enhance Clinician Mobility
NetApp easy-to-manage virtual desktop infrastructures deliver reliable, secure access to critical data, images, and files for thousands of users anytime, anywhere. Partnering with companies such as VMware and Citrix allows workflows to be coordinated and streamlined through virtualized desktops to improve productivity and efficiency. Clinicians can now easily access sensitive patient information by using mobile devices from a virtual environment, as they meet with patients throughout the workday, within the facility, across campus, or across the country.
NetApp and PACS Alliance Providers
Simple, scalable, and reliable image storage and archiving
With advances in technology, healthcare providers now have access to sophisticated imaging systems that have improved medical diagnostics. Digital modalities with 3D capabilities allow clinicians to view high-quality 3D images in real time, resulting in more accurate clinical decisions. But this benefit comes at a cost. From MRIs and mMRIs to multislice CTs, RIS, cardiac imaging, ultrasound, and more, imaging data is growing at a staggering rate.
Existing storage infrastructures are being tested with the growing number of departments that create images, the number of imaging procedures per patient, the quantity of images per study, and the size of high-resolution imaging. The ability to share data between multiple remote facilities, meet retention guidelines, and recover from an outage-without sacrificing accessibility or availability-is critical for efficient operations.
The NetApp Solution
NetApp and leading picture archiving and communication systems (PACS) providers, including Agfa Healthcare, FujiFilm, GE Healthcare, Merge, INFINITT, McKesson, Philips, and Siemens, have teamed up to address image storage needs. As part of this effort, the teams also help increase clinical efficiency and ultimately improve delivery of patient care. Working together, we help healthcare organizations share data-intensive medical images and reports with authorised medical specialists and facilities worldwide.
NetApp offers fast, simple, scalable, and reliable data storage: the ideal match for vendors' PACS systems. Together, we offer a complete enterprise imaging infrastructure solution. You receive a superior image management system and a cost-effective, easy-to-maintain data storage component that lowers your total cost of ownership while enhancing profitability.
Make Better Decisions for You and Your Patients
NetApp's vision for the future of data management is to create a Data Fabric that spans the entire IT landscape. The Data Fabric enabled by NetApp takes the worry and complexity out of managing and maintaining control of clinical data across private and public cloud resources. This capability enables healthcare organizations to adhere to internal data security policies, maintain compliance with HIPAA and HITECH requirements, and promote greater innovation and IT responsiveness. With a Data Fabric enabled by NetApp, you can:
- Choose the mix of private and public cloud services that will help provide patients with highly secure and cost-effective services.
- Have the data mobility you need for your data to flow seamlessly to wherever your clinicians need it most-across flash, disk, and private and public clouds.
- Achieve the speed to innovate faster using fewer resources to improve patient outcomes.
NetApp helps healthcare organizations embrace the cloud on their terms by integrating on-premises enterprise-class data management and control with the flexibility, speed, and economics of the public cloud. Advances in technology and cloud computing provide key capabilities to help the healthcare industry redesign storage systems to keep pace with the tremendous growth in clinical data. These advances also help you to do more within tight budgets. By enabling you to securely share, store, and retain data-including big data from multiology images, diagnostic reports, and other critical patient-care information systems-the Data Fabric provides the tools to transform patient care.
Continuity of Data Access
The need for always-on data access is mandatory for delivering excellence in patient care. Retrieval of patient information is a critical aspect in providing timely patient care. To support these needs, healthcare organizations must capture and preserve medical data with integrated backup and archiving of EMR and PACS applications.
Achieve maximum performance and scale without wasting resources or affecting availability with NetApp FAS and All Flash FAS storage. Combining reliable, high-performance hardware with the industry-leading NetApp Data ONTAP operating system helps IT seamlessly scale the storage infrastructure to keep pace with increasing patient data requirements.
- Consolidate images and information for immediate use. NetApp Data ONTAP delivers extreme flexibility with the most robust efficiency toolset built into a single solution, eliminating the need to purchase and integrate disparate components.
- Protect multisite data with cost-effective archiving. The simplicity and scalability of NetApp FAS systems efficiently store PACS images and patient records without sacrificing accessibility or availability and still meet compliance requirements for data retention.
- Enhance data protection. Protect against single path failure with storage resiliency, delivering consistent performance in the event of controller failover.
- Be flash ready to boost performance. Up to 2TB of onboard NetApp Flash Cache or Flash Pool intelligent caching provide an instant response to workload spikes in access requests for patient files.
- Reduce change control windows. The NetApp clustered Data ONTAP operating system enables nondisruptive operations, delivering five-9s uptime that minimizes both planned and unplanned downtime.
- Get improved speed and scalability. New NetApp FAS systems deliver up to 80% more processing power and 100% more capacity.
Simplified, Centralized Management
Consolidating multiple terabytes of PACS data and additional hospital records on NetApp storage can considerably reduce the number of servers and storage devices that IT teams must manage. Tight integration between NetApp and PACS vendor solutions simplifies management of growing imaging data across on-premises and hybrid cloud environments. To help maximize system use, meet storage SLAs, minimize risks, and boost performance, NetApp OnCommand management products provide visibility and control across clustered Data ONTAP storage resources. OnCommand intuitive GUIs, automation, and integration also improve operational efficiencies.
Maintain Compliance with Cost-Effective Archiving
NetApp and its PACS partners help you to comply with HIPAA, Joint Commission, and European Union Directive requirements to protect your stored patient images and other records. We help you meet state, federal, and county mandates for disaster recovery, security, and retention. The simplicity and scalability of NetApp FAS systems efficiently store PACS images and patient records without sacrificing accessibility or availability and still meet compliance requirements for data retention.
Secure cloud archiving
NetApp AltaVault cloud-integrated storage helps healthcare organizations securely back up PACS imaging data to any cloud at up to 90% less cost compared to that of on-premises solutions. Healthcare organizations can now include the public and private cloud as part of backup and recovery and archiving strategies for cost-effective data protection. AltaVault helps organizations achieve faster recovery, reduce data loss, and deliver ironclad security, all with minimal management overhead.
AltaVault can help healthcare organizations:
- Modernize backup environments. Vaults older tape and disk solutions to the cloud, enabling rapid restores with off-site protection.
- Integrate the cloud into backup strategies. Integrates with all leading backup solutions and all major public and private cloud providers for a long-term cloud tier.
- Store large volumes of cold storage. Retains large volumes of data that is infrequently accessed.
- Maintain cost-effective archive storage. Reduces the cost of storage with deduplication and network-efficient replication to meet compliance requirements for data retention.
High-performance, disk-based data retention
NetApp SnapLock software helps meet government standards for retaining, protecting, and accessing regulated and reference data with a flexible, integrated, cost-effective solution. SnapLock software helps you to comply with records retention regulations by creating nonrewritable, nonerasable volumes to prevent files from being altered or deleted before a predetermined retention date. NetApp Snapshot technology enables administrators to simultaneously back up multiple databases of any size in seconds, and NetApp SnapManager software helps you to recover from server outages in minutes, not hours or days.
NetApp partners with leading vendor-neutral-archive (VNA) companies, such as Agfa Healthcare, BridgeHead, DeJarnette, GE Healthcare, INFINITT, Lexmark, Mach7 Technologies, Merge, and TeraMedica, to centralize clinical data. A VNA functions as a central repository for medical images and other related patient data based on an open architecture for multiple departments of multiple hospitals. By interfacing with numerous PACS providers, the VNA gives central access to medical images for second opinions, EHR integration, provision to health information exchanges (HIEs), and more. In addition to sharing information based on secure access and authorization, the VNA also offers resilience against network interruptions, long-term archiving, and disaster recovery services.
Comprehensive Data at the Point of Care
Connecting multiple sites or health systems
Digital imaging and PACS enable instant access to radiology studies among healthcare providers regardless of location-and without duplicating or transporting films or risking their loss.
Hospitals and clinics, modalities, diagnostic and clinical workstations, HIS/RIS
Although single sites can use NetApp FAS based technology, NetApp and its PACS providers have worked together on many technology installations to address a continuous and growing need for sophisticated, multisite healthcare connectivity. Using technology such as NetApp StorageGRID software, NetApp and these partners can help healthcare organizations share medical data with multiple facilities. They can also help organizations share data between hospital groups (EHR), HIE, and Nationwide Health Information Network applications. NetApp simplifies replication of data to multiple healthcare facilities with disk-todisk backup. This approach requires fewer support personnel and lowers cost. And NetApp SnapMirror and SnapVault technologies can save up to 95% in storage space.
Enhancing clinician mobility
NetApp's easy-to-manage virtual desktop infrastructures deliver reliable, secure access to critical data, images, and files for thousands of users anytime, anywhere. NetApp's partnering with companies such as VMware and Citrix enables workflows to be coordinated and streamlined through virtualized desktops to improve productivity and efficiency. Clinicians can now easily access sensitive patient information by using mobile devices from a virtual environment as they meet with patients throughout the workday, both within the facility and across buildings.
NetApp storage delivers high reliability of healthcare data-as high as 99.999% in recent deployments-using both hardware and software solutions. Our hardware solutions include use of industry-standard components; hardware redundancy; and proven, well-tested drives and disk storage. Our software-based solutions include NetApp RAID DP (RAID 6) technology and accelerated backup and recovery capabilities to minimize unplanned downtime and enhance the availability of patientcritical data.
High Performance Computing:
NetApp High Performance Computing solutions offer multi-GB/s performance for petabyte-scale, data-intensive applications.
High-Performance Computing Solution for Lustre
NetApp high-performance computing solutions for Lustre support massive performance and storage density without sacrificing efficiency.
NetApp high-performance computing solution for Lustre can help you manage the escalating data capacities and complexities created by data-intensive applications such as simulation and modeling. Combined with the open-source Lustre file system, our solution lets you maximize productivity, improve computational efficiencies, and increase ROI.
NetApp lets you choose the components you need with the flexibility to scale performance or capacity later. You can start small, and expand in 2U or 4U increments-and scale bandwidth and capacity independently.
NetApp E-Series data storage systems meet the demands of HPC without sacrificing simplicity and efficiency. The NetApp E5424 data storage system is optimized for high bandwidth and high IOPS with leading price/performance. The NetApp E5460 system maximizes storage density with minimum footprint. Its modular design lets you create a storage deployment tailored to your budget and HPC requirements.
Big Data: Why the Buzz?
Technology advancements and complexities in model accuracy, real-time information sharing, high-end imaging, streaming video, analytics, and other data-intensive applications dramatically change the way business is conducted. Explosive data growth is now being fueled by bandwidth-intensive applications that access and store vast amounts of information. Scientific and engineering design models require greater fidelity to advance research and design next-generation products. For example, doubling the accuracy of a three-dimensional solids model can cube the required number of data points, severely stressing resources. This results in the need for:
- Massive performance to support very-high-bandwidth workloads
- Solutions designed for specific performance and density needs, increasing TCO
- Dense storage solutions to maximize data center floor space
- Maximum uptime to eliminate job restarts, which can result in lost productivity
Large-scale data requires a different approach to storage
Organizations that depend on high-performance computing (HPC) face increasing challenges to better manage the escalating data capacities and complexities created by highbandwidth applications. Solutions based on the Lustre file system are helping to solve these challenges with technologies to conduct research in scientific areas that were previously impossible to pursue.
Leveraging Lustre storage in computer simulation has become a fundamental driver of scientific discovery across many disciplines, resulting in dramatically faster time to solution and time to discovery.
- Government organizations. Obtain faster time to results for large data files and storage pools, such as climate modeling and nuclear simulations.
- Universities and labs. Achieve high levels of performance and storage capacity for genomics and biosciences research and modeling.
- Climatology. Improve the speed and accuracy of research and modeling for applications such as computational fluid dynamics and finite element analysis.
Achieve Fast Results
The NetApp High-Performance Computing Solution for Lustre is purpose-built to efficiently scale bandwidth and density with uncompromised reliability, solving difficult research, modeling, and simulation problems. Based on the NetApp E-Series storage platform and Whamcloud's Lustre high-performance file system, it offers an infrastructure that is designed for the flexibility, performance, and scalability required by the most demanding workflows to meet storage requirements today and in the future.
- Proven performance. Delivers a dramatic increase in throughput and I/O, allowing massively parallel file access.
- Excellent scalability. Scales to tens of petabytes of data and tens of thousands of clients. • Reliability. Meets uptime requirements of both business and research applications.
- Decreased costs. Significantly reduces deployment and support costs with preconfigured and pretested configurations.
Lustre file system
The High-Performance Computing Solution for Lustre leverages the industry-leading high-performance file system optimized for data-intensive HPC applications:
- Seismic processing interpretation
- Crash-test simulations in automotive
- Simulation of climate change
- Consolidation of regionally dispersed datasets for governments
- Simulation of Computation Fluid Dynamics
Lustre is the file system that is most widely used by many of the world's top 500 supercomputing sites.1 It is popular for its ability to support a wide range of cluster nodes, storage capacity, and bandwidth requirements. Lustre enables I/O performance and scaling well beyond the limits of traditional storage technology and is becoming mainstream in storage environments that require very high I/O bandwidth. Advantages of Lustre include:
- Single file system namespace
- Scalable to high capacity and performance
- Multiple client access with concurrent read/write access with full lock management
- Highly configurable to meet specific customer requirements
Lustre enables the HPC industries to better manage escalating data capacities and complexities created by highbandwidth applications. The Lustre architecture provides LAN connectivity to the E-Series SAN pool of shared storage using gateway servers and the distributed LAN clients. This offers very scalable remote LAN connectivity to a shared Lustre data pool, with higher per-stream performance than that of NFS or CIFS.
Designed for specific performance and density requirements
The NetApp solution is designed and optimized for the most demanding data-processing workloads. The preconfigured, pretested solution supports the high bandwidth and density required to capture and share large datasets across multiple applications and sites. System configurations can easily be expanded to address growing capacity needs for years to come.
- Big bandwidth support. Supports 180TB in just one 4U, or up to 1.8PB in each industry-standard 40U rack.
- Modular design. Allows growth with minimal components, eliminating the need to overconfigure.
- Extreme flexibility. Scale bandwidth and capacity independently. Start small and expand in 2U or 4U increments.
- Fast time to deployment. Bundled with NetApp Professional Services installation to accelerate time to production.
NetApp HPC solution for Lustre
Shorten time to results
The NetApp solution increases highperformance computing capacity with a storage solution optimized for the Lustre file system. This eliminates data barriers to allow greater strides in innovation through maximized productivity, improve computational efficiencies, and reduced operational costs:
- Performance optimized. Get more than 3GB/sec Lustre write throughput per 4U with cache mirror enabled.
- Eliminate data bottlenecks. Increase processing efficiency with more than 30GB/sec from a single 40U rack.
- Extreme scalability. Efficiently scale to many multiple GB/sec in a single 40U rack.
- Smaller footprint. Reduce power, cooling, and operational costs with fewer disk drives and less rack space.
Accelerate innovation and results with confidence
NetApp provides outstanding reliability and availability, delivering ready access to applications and data when and where they are needed. Using seventhgeneration controller technology, NetApp delivers field-proven technology in tested and proven solutions for maximum uptime with optimized RAS capabilities built in.
- Availability. Standard redundant components provide the utmost availability of critical data.
- Proven performance. Leverage proven and trusted products in a wide range of industries.
- Backed by global support. NetApp's comprehensive worldwide service and support include Lustre Support.
NetApp E-Series Storage Platform
The NetApp E5400 meets the demanding performance and capacity requirements of HPC environments without sacrificing simplicity and efficiency. The modular design of the E5400 allows you to mix shelf types to address different requirements with the same system. This allows you to create a storage deployment tailored to your HPC requirements that will grow with your needs and keep you within your budget.
E5424: Optimized for performance
The NetApp E5424 delivers both high bandwidth and high IOPS with leading price performance. The E5424 saves cost by consuming 50% less power and using up to 24 2.5” SAS drives in a 2U form factor. A fully loaded rack delivers performance of more than 30GB/sec sustained disk write throughput in 40U.
E5460: Delivers industry-leading density
The NetApp E5460 optimizes storage density for maximum capacity with excellent performance, supporting up to 60 drives in each 4U enclosure. The E5460 supports high-capacity near-line SAS disk options that are superior to SATA drives for high capacity and lower cost per MB/sec and are an excellent choice for throughput-intensive applications. The 4U enclosure holds 60 disk drives in 5 drawers, delivering up to 3.1GB/sec of write throughput in 4U.
E2624: Metadata storage
Best practices dictate a dedicated storage system for client access to file metadata (such as name, size, access times, and data locations). NetApp offers the E2624, a cost-effective SAS-connected disk system that can be attached directly to the metadata controllers, delivering the maximum performance demanded by HPC applications.
Continuous Performance for Maximum Resiliency
NetApp SANtricity Dynamic Disk Pools (DDP) is designed for big data sites that demand continuous high performance and maximum resiliency. DDP reduces the performance impact of a drive failure by drastically reducing the rebuild time versus traditional RAID, and provides a significant improvement in data protection over static RAID striping methods. Its flexible disk pool sizing enables DDP to optimize disk drive utilization per enclosure. DDP distributes data, parity information, and spare capacity across a pool of drives (seven patents pending).
DDP is able to utilize every drive in the pool for both normal and rebuild operations, making every enclosure maximally efficient. If a drive failure occurs, every drive in the pool contributes to recreating the lost data blocks. This dynamic rebuild behavior is the key to its exceptional performance under failure conditions and quick return to optimal condition.
NetApp Helps You Handle Big Data with Ease
A worldwide team of experts helps maximize the value of your investment. Working with technical organizations, we identify critical results drivers and offer extensive training and tools to help your teams optimize HPC operations.
- Proven solution. Has been tested, deployed, and supported worldwide.
- Always-on technology. Provides increased productivity and reduced risk.
- Shorter time to delivery. Delivers richer options to your organization in less time.
- Lowers costs and increases ROI. Linear scaling accommodates growing data streams and access requirements, resulting in improved total cost of ownership.
Team with experts
Accelerate your implementation and minimize risk by taking advantage of NetApp Professional Services. We enable successful deployments of the NetApp High-Performance Computing Solution for Lustre by designing, deploying, and integrating the solution to meet your specific business needs using industry best practices. You'll achieve the highest levels of efficiency, manageability and agility, whether your project is large or small, on one site or across multiple locations.
With NetApp's Authorised Professional Services Delivery Partner network, your organization will benefit from market-leading open-sourced solutions combined with technical expertise and support from our partners. You gain exclusive access to the right resources at the right time to enable your business to help maximize performance in a stable and secure environment.
With our hundreds of professionals worldwide and years of field experience, you can be confident that our expert teams will work diligently to bring you online with minimal time to production in a cost-effective manner from the initial discovery and planning phase to final solution deployment and acceptance. Our portfolio of professional services includes use-case discovery, proof of concept, production pilot, solution design and implementation, and optimization.
NetApp Media and Entertainment Data Storage Solutions
NetApp lets you manage content with fewer resources, expand without interrupting operations, improve media workflows for less, and increase return on assets.
Increase Return on Assets
Align media assets with IT corporate resources
In many media companies today, the IT and creative departments are working together to align the IT capabilities of the company with core media operations. They create a competitive advantage by optimizing filebased workflows for managing and delivering content to a wide range of media outlets. With NetApp, the same storage architecture that delivers improved performance for back-office applications such as Microsoft Exchange, SAP, and Oracle can also help improve performance and accessibility for online, near-line, and archival storage of your core video, audio, and image assets.
Manage more content with fewer resources
You can greatly simplify data management and reduce IT administration costs with our unified storage architecture, which runs the same software and processes across all tiers. Virtualization capabilities are built into all NetApp storage platforms to simplify enterprise data management while dramatically reducing TCO. NetApp storage virtualization and consolidation solutions include consistent and streamlined interfaces that help you save money by reducing the number of people and servers needed to manage your storage.
Expand on the fly
Our systems are all powered by a unified storage architecture that delivers simplified data management with seamless scalability, enabling you to expand on the fly by using existing storage shelves and simply “swapping” with a higher performance model. Unlike competing solutions, there is no need for disruptive, time-consuming data migration when you need more storage. You are no longer constrained by your infrastructure: you can grow as dictated by your pipeline.
Maximize storage utilization
Now you can improve storage utilization and stop overprovisioning. With traditional disk arrays, you must allocate and dedicate storage at initial setup. When you use NetApp’s patented thin-provisioning technology, you can reallocate storage on demand, without disrupting service to your creative team. This capability typically increases storage utilization by as much as 40%.
Keep Content Flowing
Speed delivery of higher quality content
Our scale-out storage solutions for digital media uniquely address the scalability requirements of large multisite production facilities. You can scale up to dozens of nodes with multiple gigabytes per second of throughput and petabytes of storage capacity, all in a single global namespace. Performance scales linearly as you add additional nodes. Our solutions deliver the foundation for file-based, high-definition content management, so our customers in distributed environments can take full advantage of a 24x7 worldwide production pipeline.
Create content once and deliver using many mediums
NetApp's support for heterogeneous applications and protocols means you can use one storage platform to feed all your automation, asset management, transcoding, and ingest/playout servers. And because you can access and deliver content over any standard network protocol, you can create the content once and deliver it for a variety of purposes: on-air broadcast, Internet streaming, mobile distribution, or archive storage. For nonlinear editors, NetApp provides the central content repository that delivers content to editing and compositing storage systems.
Improve your workflow at lower cost
With NetApp data protection technology, less expensive SATA disk technology is now a viable choice for your workflow: digital content creation, management, delivery, and archive applications. NetApp offers the protection you need to avoid lost content files. Our patented, DoubleParity RAID (RAID-DP) technology delivers superior data protection while providing the performance your most demanding applications require.
Unleash creativity with uninterrupted availability
Now your creative team can focus on content creation instead of troubleshooting or fighting the limitations of your infrastructure. With our data resiliency and replication technologies, you can be assured that your content is available when and where it is needed. Our clustered solutions lead the industry with uptime in excess of 99.998%. You get continuous system and application availability without sacrificing cost, performance, or capacity utilization.
Protect your content
Maximize data security
There is no room for error when it comes to protecting your content or your clients' content. With our security appliances, you get military-grade encryption for data at rest and in flight, reducing the risk of unauthorised access, misuse, or theft. You can easily deploy our in-line security technology anywhere in your architecture without impeding your creative workflow.
Increase backup speed and reliability
Our disk-based data protection solutions safeguard your content assets at a cost that lets you protect more data than you ever thought possible. Our virtual tape library products, for example, reduce the cost of enterprise-class disk-to-disk backup by 50% to 67% through high-performance disk compression. You can also use our disk-based backup solutions with our mirroring and replication technologies to instantaneously retrieve lost data in the event of a failure.
Partner for success
Team with an industry leader
Media and entertainment companies around the world rely on our unified storage architecture for its superior scalability, flexibility, manageability, and reliability. From film studios to postproduction houses to game publishers and broadcasters, we help media and entertainment companies successfully and cost-effectively create, manage, and deliver content. The productivity and cost benefits of our solutions are among the reasons Gartner, Inc. puts NetApp in the “Leaders” quadrant, its highest rating.
Get help when and where you need it
To help your business go further, faster, our global enterprise-class services and support experts are available to you when and where you need them, from needs assessment to maintenance. Teaming with NetApp, you can maximize your returns on assets throughout the life of ownership by freeing up your internal resources, maximizing uptime, and minimizing disruption.
NetApp solutions for life sciences help validate, protect, and manage data during product trial and approval processes.
Pharmaceutical and bioresearch organizations worldwide rely on NetApp efficient, flexible data management systems to support their quest for new drugs and improved patient care. We deliver fast data access, system integration, and the ability to share massive amounts of scientific data-whether structured or unstructured.
Take advantage of NetApp solutions for the life sciences industry to:
- Mitigate regulatory and business risk.
- Boost productivity.
- Simplify IT operations.
- Improve collaboration by providing access to all research data across your network.
- Speed the drug discovery process.
- Facilitate interoperability with present and future life sciences applications, including those in the public domain.
- Maximize your infrastructure investment by storing compliance data on the same system as your production and research data.
- Scale to keep pace with research breakthroughs and global collaboration opportunities.
- Use our partner enhancements for database support, e-mail and collaboration, content distribution, and document management.
Manufacturing & Engineering:
Eliminate data bottlenecks that reduce engineer productivity and cut time to execute critical prototyping applications.
Accelerate your time to market and drive down costs using flexible NetApp storage solutions. Streamline your resources and increase the productivity of your teams. And let your design and engineering teams share files across all platforms, through native NFS and CIFS support, for maximum collaboration.
Reduce your costs with NetApp mechanical design solutions, which provide data performance, scalability, interoperability, and protection. Shorten your design cycles, improve asset utilization, and realize operational cost savings.
Our mechanical design solutions provide nondisruptive capacity expansion and quick performance upgrades, from entry-level to high-end configurations. Enable your design, engineering, and production teams to allocate storage on demand using NetApp FlexVol technology, which pools storage resources automatically.
Enjoy application-level flexibility with our Data ONTAP operating system, which delivers just-in-time storage with policy-based control. And use NetApp Snapshot technology to back up your assets without extended backup windows.
Optimized Storage for Product Development
Eliminate the bottlenecks that slow down development and get costs under control with NetApp storage solutions
No matter what you design-automobiles, aerospace/defense, industrial equipment, consumer goods, electronics, and so on-your product development operations represent a substantial investment. Naturally, you want to maximize that investment by increasing productivity and accelerating time to market while reducing cost. Storage infrastructure and data management are critical parts of your product development effort. Fast and reliable access to 3D models, simulation results, and historical designs is critical for meeting aggressive timeto-market goals. The right storage solution can foster innovation and enable success.
Build your storage infrastructure with NetApp
NetApp has long experience helping the world's top manufacturers. The NetApp unified storage architecture works in concert with leading product lifecycle management (PLM) systems and design and simulation tools from Dassault Systemes and Siemens PLM Software and a variety of electronic design automation (EDA) tools from Cadence, Synopsys, and Mentor Graphics, allowing you to:
- React faster to changing business conditions
- Enhance global collaboration
- Get products out the door faster without sacrificing quality
- Better protect critical design data
- Reduce overall storage and management costs
Increase Business Flexibility
Your development environment must adapt quickly to changing requirements and unforeseen needs. NetApp gives you unparalleled degrees of freedom. NetApp unified storage supports all popular storage protocols-NAS, SAN, and iSCSI-on a single storage platform. You can use different tiers of storage: Fibre Channel disk for maximum performance; SATA disk for lower cost; and write-once, read-many (WORM) volumes for archival and compliance needs. Instead of getting locked into upfront provisioning decisions, NetApp lets you provision storage as needed and make changes quickly, without downtime. The result is a storage environment better able to meet your dynamic business requirements.
Accelerate Global Product Development Processes
There are a lot of stumbling blocks on the way to getting a new product out the door. NetApp helps you eliminate the bottlenecks that can hold your team back.
A global product development environment with the full suite of NetApp hardware and software.
Maximum storage performance for HPC
To rapidly prototype new designs, you increasingly depend on data-hungry, highperformance computing (HPC) applications such as EDA tools, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) codes, crash/impact analysis, and finite element analysis (FEA). NetApp provides solutions capable of satisfying the data needs of these applications running on the largest compute farms. When raw storage performance is the key, NetApp FlexVol technology delivers optimal performance-as much as a 2X performance improvement versus traditional volumes-without a lot of upfront planning. For even greater acceleration, Data ONTAP GX joins multiple storage systems together into a scalable cluster. Volumes and files can be striped across storage systems for performance that far exceeds that of any single system. Multiple compute nodes read the same data set, resulting in a storage bottleneck that typically can be relieved only by copying data to multiple storage systems. Using NetApp FlexCache, you can achieve the same result much more efficiently and automatically without tedious administration. FlexCache can work in concert with Data ONTAP GX or with standalone storage. With these solutions, more work gets done in less time, decreasing your development costs and improving time to market.
Accelerate remote access
Engineers waiting for data or access to a centrally managed set of tools are not being productive. You need to deliver high-speed data access for both local developers and remote engineering sites. For remote access, wide area network (WAN) latency is the limiting factor, and local caching or data replication is necessary. FlexCache addresses these issues. Once a file is read across the WAN into a local FlexCache volume, you can access it repeatedly at the speed of your local LAN. NetApp SnapMirror software provides an easy-to-administer replication solution that makes efficient use of available network bandwidth to put data where you need it.
You support a mix of operating systems such as Windows, Linux, and UNIX. Protocol emulation products such as SAMBA and PC-NFS allow data sharing between different platforms, but they also increase complexity, complicate management, and decrease performance. NetApp unified storage eliminates the data bottlenecks in multiplatform environments, improving collaboration between engineers and designers while eliminating the capital and management costs of multiple, separate storage environments.
Greater storage efficiency
All your development clients are able to access storage directly, eliminating the need for emulation. Your servers can take advantage of SAN connectivity (iSCSI or Fibre Channel) to the same storage system for even greater efficiency
Improve Data Protection
Comprehensive data protection is imperative to protect critical design data and to make sure it is accessible around the clock. Time lost to unplanned system outages-as well as planned downtime for backups-can decrease profitability.
Eliminate long backup windows and backup more frequently
NetApp Snapshot technology allows you to create and save up to 255 instantaneous, point-in-time versions of a data volume; additional storage space is only consumed as changes are made. You can create a consistent backup of your development environment in a matter of seconds, eliminating long backup windows that can keep engineers idle, and-because Snapshot backup is fast and efficient-you can perform more frequent backups for greater protection than competing products. Should an application become corrupted, you can recover quickly by rolling back to a recent Snapshot copy with NetApp SnapRestore®. NetApp SnapManager for Oracle provides simple, reliable database protection for PLM tools-such as Teamcenter from Siemens PLM Software and ENOVIA from Dassault Systemes -that use an underlying Oracle Database. Snapshot is integrated with Teamcenter for near-instantaneous, consistent backup and restore of both underlying Oracle Databases and data stores.
Efficient disk-to-disk backup
NetApp SnapVault software delivers efficient, disk-to-disk backup to a local or remote secondary storage system. SnapVault automatically eliminates the duplication that results from other backup methodologies, so you do less management work and keep more backups online for a longer period. Simplified disaster recovery NetApp SnapMirror technology efficiently mirrors designated data volumes to a remote location for either replication or disaster recovery. Our complete suite of cost-effective data protection tools lets you protect every aspect of your product development operation. Data is always available, so engineers are free to work around the clock to meet timeto-market objectives.
Protecting your intellectual property
In today's global, fast-paced, and highly competitive market, you must be able to protect intellectual property (IP) data you need to share with development partners. NetApp storage security solutions make sure that only authorised users have access to data while minimizing performance impact and management overhead. Encryption key management lets you quickly render IP data at a partner's facility unreadable when a partnership is terminated.
Affordable DR and Increased Efficiency
PSA Peugeot Citroën is the second largest car manufacturer in Europe. The company chose NetApp, in large part for our simple, reliable, and affordable DR solution, which allowed it to better protect the company “crown jewels.” The company has also been able to improve both engineer and IT staff productivity with:
- Concurrent development on twice as many car models
- A reduction in planned downtime from 26 weekends to six hours per year
These improvements were achieved with no additional IT staff; three administrators were able to refocus on other tasks instead of storage. According to Jean Pierre Dumoulin, director of the Division TIVV in charge of support and IT for the group PSA PeugeotCitroen, “Engineers at PSA were surprised by the astonishing simplicity of the NetApp solution, which offers a lower TCO-nearly half that of the former solution.”
Reduce Storage Costs
Economic pressures have dramatically driven down engineering IT budgets, while the demands on development organizations to deliver products continue to rise. You need to control costs by maximizing resource utilization and decreasing management expenses without sacrificing the flexibility to grow and change your storage infrastructure.
NetApp helps you achieve maximum storage utilization through core technologies that also greatly simplify management.
Storage virtualization and thin provisioning
By striping data across all your disks in a common pool of storage, FlexVol can improve your storage utilization by as much as twofold versus traditional provisioning. Early in a development project, space requirements might not be clear-traditional upfront provisioning methods can result in overprovisioning and wasted space. With NetApp FlexVol technology you can thin provision your storage, so multiple volumes share a single pool of free space. You add additional storage only as you need it and avoid the pain of both overprovisioning and underprovisioning.
Your engineering environment is full of data duplication-multiple copies of similar files. NetApp deduplication allows you to recover that “wasted” space and use it more productively.
NetApp storage makes more efficient use of the resources you have, reducing requirements for physical space, power, and cooling. Recent studies by Oliver Wyman demonstrate that NetApp solutions used 50% less rack space and 52% less power and produce 51% less heat,1 while cutting total cost of ownership by 44% for file services,2 39% for VMware,3 and 35% for archive,4 in comparison to other leading vendors.
Accelerating Global IC Design
Infineon is a leading innovator in the international semiconductor industry with 42,000 employees worldwide. With engineers around the world, the engineering IT team needs to support around-the-clock development and protect precious development data no matter where it resides. To meet these needs, it implemented a remote, multisite DR solution including Snapshot, SnapMirror, and SnapVault.
The NetApp solution has allowed the team to accommodate continuing annual data growth of 100% while:
- Scaling storage on the fly without downtime
- Eliminating application performance problems
- Facilitating better collaboration
Maximize Your Success
NetApp Global Services has years of experience supporting NetApp technologies in the world's biggest manufacturing organizations. Our support engineers understand the unique issues that face product developers and respond accordingly.
NetApp has forged close partnerships to provide the best possible integration with the developers of the two leading PLM solutions. NetApp works closely with Dassault Systemes to develop best practices for our many joint customers, including a data migration solution to help customers move to the latest CATIA platform.
NetApp also works closely with Siemens PLM Software on such important topics as:
- Reference architecture for Teamcenter on NetApp over NFS
- Backup integration
- Database performance enhancements
- Deduplication on Teamcenter storage
- VMware support
Both of these leading PLM software providers choose NetApp storage for their own development needs.
Media & Entertainment:
NetApp helps broadcasters, studios, cable providers, and Internet delivery networks solve their big-media challenges.
Post operations demand more bandwidth for higher resolutions and larger edit workgroups. Visual effects and animation studios want higher IOPS for more complex scenes and more render cores. Both use cases are turning to NetApp.
Broadcast and Cable
Hundreds of broadcast and cable enterprises-including Antena3, BBC, CBS, Comcast, France Televisions, Turner, and Sky News-run their media operations on high-speed production, archive, and delivery architectures based on NetApp storage solutions.
Internet and Social Media Delivery
Video, music, photo, game, and social media sites are exploding with media content and metadata. To keep from bursting at the seams, Internet and mobile media companies rely on NetApp to architect infinitely scalable and immortal storage infrastructures.